This article is all about sharing with you what we suggest in regards to accommodation during fall and winter seasons. During these periods, the hotels somehow feel more cozy. We get to experience them better due to the not-so-warm temperatures outside and they’re located in relaxing and mindfulness areas – meaning a bit far away from all the distractions, noise, stress and touristic routes – which we find even more appealing.
Note that in Portugal we tend to have pretty good temperatures, even on winter (around 10ºC to 15ºC / 50ºF to 59ºF), comparatively to other European countries, but January is usually the coldest month of the year.
We’re huge fans of small charming hotels with loads of character, pleasant details, high client attention and uniqueness. See below our 2 top luxury hotel choices for a relaxing getaway:
3 top reasons why we recommend it
1. It’s the definition of natural designed peaceful retreat. From its quiet location – at the very heart of Alentejo region – to its contemporary well designed minimalist yet extremely comfy ambiance. If you want to just enjoy yourself (and/or your loved one) this is the place to go. You’ll find rustic natural landscapes over their vineyards (yes, they do produce their own labelled wine) as well as to the Montemor castle.
2. We have to admit: we simply love body and skincare products and we consider Caudalie as one of our favorite brands so it was pretty much the Holy Grail to experience their Caudalie Spa (there are only two in Portugal) and their unique Vinothérapie care. Besides the body massage, we recommend a face mask and also buying some Caudalie products including of course dozens of samples. An A plus for the indoor heated pool with a fantastic low-medium light during night, turning everything into a more private atmosphere.
3. All the decoration, comfort and space of the Suites, represent a I-want-to-come-back-soon sign. We recommend 1 night at the Deluxe L’And View Bedroom Suite plus 1 night at the Luxury Sky View Suite in order to have a better comparison between the two. The main differences aside from the price are: the glass window in the ceiling from where you get to see the sky and stars (if you’re lucky), king size bed, lake and castle view, outdoor plunge pool, bigger bathroom with a bathtub and the Caudalie amenities – all these in the Luxury Sky View Suite. The Deluxe L’And View Bedroom Suite has 1 extra room with 2 beds.
You might also like: Fall in love with the most charismatic season of the year
Our 5 top tips
1. Book it definitely from fall / winter until mid of spring season to get the best of its concept – avoid summer since it can be crowded and you might suffer with the high temperatures of Alentejo.
2. The hotel location doesn’t have walking distance restaurants (so please consider renting a car) but it’s close to Évora town (30 minutes by car), where you can enjoy the best regional dishes (wherever your are go for the Tomato soup) – ask the concierge for some restaurants’ advice and to guarantee a reservation. Note that the hotel has its own restaurant, by the Chef Miguel Laffan, who unfortunately lost recently his Michelin Star.
3. Having a glass of good wine in front of the most simply sophisticated design fireplace at the lobby lounge area – don’t forget to take a picture (share it with us on Instagram or Facebook if you do!), you’ll want to remember this for sure!
4. Walking barefoot in your Suite and enjoy the heated floor as well as having your own private fireplace lighted up outside (schedule this in advance with the concierge so they can do it for you).
5. They have available bikes to be used by the guests so feel free to explore the surroundings sceneries.
Click here to book your stay.
3 top reasons why we recommend it
1. Primarily due to its location in Funchal, in Madeira island. It feels like summer all year-round. The hotel is placed on a hilltop away from the bustling downtown so upon arrival you immediately feel the Feng-Shui energy. The wooden Zen Asian / African decor represent a kind of homage to the Portuguese Discoveries and we truly feel a real sense of place and unparalleled comfort.
2. The bungalows – oh the bungalows! Built on wooden pillars, all away from each other, they offer private balconies from where you have breathtaking views over the island and the Atlantic Ocean – especially by night. They provide a true sense of privacy which you don’t get to feel in too many hotels. Listen the inner peace through the unique combination of natural wild landscapes with the relaxed luxury and take time to unplug and just connect with yourself.
3. All the staff is very friendly, professional and customer-service focused. They’ll for sure accommodate any special request you might have.
You might also like: 10 best suggestions from… Filipa Júlio | Josefinas Portugal
Our 4 top tips
1. The very complete breakfast with all the tropical fruits such as passionfruit, mango, papaya, and so on. They have plenty of options to choose from and if they don’t, feel free to ask specifically.
2. A swim in the outdoor lagoon pool and a cocktail while relaxing on one of the larger sunbeds.
3. Renting a car is definitely a must since the hotel is located on a hilltop, 10 minutes away driving, especially if you intend to explore the rest of the island which we especially recommend. However, they do provide a shuttle bus service from the hotel to the city centre.
4. The spa is great and definitely worth it and if you wake up at night feeling the need of going into the jacuzzi, just ask the reception staff to turn it on for you… and only for you! Or in case you book a Deluxe Suite Bungalow, you’ll have your own heated outdoor jacuzzi.
Click here to book your dream room.